Manual Lymphatic Drainage at London Healthcare Clinic
Manual Lymphatic Drainage (MLD) is an advanced therapy in which the practitioner uses a range of specialised and gentle rhythmic pumping techniques to move the skin in the direction of the lymph flow.
This stimulates the lymphatic vessels which carry substances vital to the defence of the body and removes waste products. The first visit will include a consultation during which the therapist will recommend the number and frequency of future sessions. Each session will last approximately one hour. Where appropriate the therapist will work in conjunction with your medical practitioner.
What are the benefits?
MLD is both preventative and remedial and can enhance your well being. Furthermore, MLD:
- Is deeply relaxing
- Promotes the healing of fractures, torn ligaments, sprains and lessens pain.
- Can improve many chronic conditions: sinusitus, rheumatoid arthritis, scleroderma, acne and other skin conditions.
- May strengthen the immune system as part of “detox” treatment.
- Relieves fluid congestion: swollen ankles, tired puffy eyes and swollen legs due to pregnancy.
- Is an effective component of the treatment and control of lymphoedema (which may occur after cancer treatment) and assists in conditions arising from venous insufficiency.
- Promotes healing of wounds and burns and improves the appearance of old scars.
- Minimise or reduces stretch marks.
- Can be used to speed healing after cosmetic surgery.
During the early 1930’s Dr. Emil Vodder created a unique range of movements which brought relief from chronic conditions such as sinus congestion and catarrh. Since Vodder’s pioneering work, MLD has spread world wide and has become a popular treatment in many European hospitals and clinics. It is now gained acceptance worldwide as a component in the treatment and control of lymphoedema.